The price of maize in South Africa varies depending on a lot of factors. Maize is highly consumed in South Africa by both humans and farm animals, like chickens.
Maize contributes to a very large proportion of our daily food consumption. 90% of South African populations rely on maize-related food for daily energy.
In this Article;
Which is better white or yellow maize?
Consumers tend to contemplate which is better, yellow maize or white maize. Yellow maize contains extra nutritional value than white maize. Yellow maize contains Beta carotene that digests into vitamin A.
Because of the nutritional difference, yellow maize is more expensive than white maize. In South Africa, people consume yellow maize and then feed farm animals with white maize.
Importance of Maize in South Africa
- Poultry farmers rely on maize to feed their chickens daily.
- South Africans consume maize food daily.
- Corn starch extraction has increased in South Africa.
- Pig farmers use maize for pigs daily.
- The South African economy’s GDP increases as a result of maize export in South Africa.
What is the price of maize in South Africa?
The price of maize in South Africa ranges from R 3600.00 to R 3740.00. The prices are widely influenced by the type of maize (yellow and white maize). One kilo of South Africa Maize is around R 515.12.
- Yellow maize price in South Africa: The 50 Kg yellow maize price is estimated at R 750/kg.
- White maize price in South Africa: How much is 1 ton of white maize in South Africa? The estimated price is around R 6,226.97.
Factors Affecting the Price of Maize in South Africa
- Cost of fertilizer. An increase in the price of fertilizer directly impacts maize prices in South Africa.
- Exchange rate. Foreign exchange rates have an effect on maize prices when maize is imported to supplement locally produced maize in South Africa.
- Supply and demand. An increase in demand with less supply of maize will increase the price and vice versa.
Maize prices in South Africa vary widely depending on the input, demand, supply, and exchange rate cost. However, prices may not be favorable sometimes but do a proper search on maize suppliers before buying maize in South Africa.